I am really excited about 2010, and it’s not because I want to see the back of 2009. It’s because this year has been really wonderful: I have made strides in my art career, met so many new friends, reached a place of peace within myself and just generally had a lot of fun.
When I was a teenager I’d make resolutions, and none of them ever stuck. So, when I reached my 20’s I decided to stop making any resolution other than “Natalie, you must have the most excellent year”. Every year has been better than the last, and I feel that it has a lot to do with treating myself kindly and not punishing myself for failing to keep resolutions that are ridiculous.
In the next year I actually want to resolve to do a few things that I feel are realistic:
• I will attend art exhibitions and events and get to know people in the Brisbane scene better.
• I will keep trying new things in my creative practice.
• I will keep up with the Couch to 5k programme, but don’t chastise myself if I need longer to achieve the milestones, or if I miss a session.
• I will listen to my body and my brain, and treat myself accordingly – always with respect and honour.
• I will have lots of fun! :D
If you are setting goals for next year I hope they are honest and achievable and if you trip up a little, I hope you don’t treat yourself too unkind. I also hope that you’re heralding the new decade in a most excellent and safe manner!
Housekeeping! I haven’t done a desktop for January 2010 yet, but don’t fret – there will be one! The holiday season has been very… relaxing, and I’ve been taking some time out. I’ll update with a new desktop for the new year in a few days!